Monday, September 21, 2009

The Hanging Of Blinds or The Rhythm Of Our Becoming

Tonight I hung blinds in our two bedroom windows. We've lived in that room for a month and a half without blinds--Sleeping with one eye closed and the other watching for prey that would test our screens and try to come in (mainly the two kittens who live on our front porch).
I don't know why I didn't put blinds up. I avoided buying them. And i avoided hanging them.
I'm an avoider. A passive creature down to the core.
However...that's beginning to change.
The need to avoid that lingers deep in my soul is being confronted and I'm beginning to confront.
Its scary I'll have to admit. I've never lived on the edge of life to the point of committing such terrifying acts as hanging the blinds.
I'm changing.

Jesus, you know him I think, he lived his life in a certain rhythm.
This rhythm connected him to the Father, renewing his spirit, forming his heart. This inner communion with the Father was evidenced through his actions- the way he spoke to the ugly, the manner in which he felt pity on them, the eyes with which he looked upon the hurting.

Its equally important for us to maintain this rhythm of connection, of continually living/practicing the Presence. For "I am the vine" and we cannot bear if we do not remain in him, if we do not live in him, if we are not nourished by him, if we do not find our identity in who he names us to be.

We are becoming persons. We are not today who we were before.
We do not need more stuff, more involvement, more action, more will-power.
We need more Jesus.

May you find a rhythm in which to access his Presence continually.
May your heart be re-formed. May your mind be re-positioned.
May you engage in what is awaiting you.

May you hang blinds...

3 comments:

  1. Good post for me. Hope to see you in Sweden soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on this; love how you say we don't need

    " more stuff, more involvement, more action, more will-power.
    We need more Jesus."

    May we live in that rhythm of connection.

    BTW - One of my all time favorite books is "The practice of the presence of Christ" by brother Lawrence - ever read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. your words great be with joy and contentment.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete